Over the years, MLM scams have become extremely popular. Almost anyone can get sucked into promoting one. Maybe you know someone who’s currently promoting something like GAZ or another MLM scam.
In this article, we’re going to cover 3 easy ways you can spot these scams and ultimately avoid them entirely.
1.) “I was grinding…”
A common theme these scams follow is using a scripted sales copy. Often, they’ll all mention the same “key points” in an effort to trigger your FOMO (fear of missing out).
They’ll say things like:
- “I was grinding away at my 9-5 never going anywhere until I did THIS! Now I’m a millionaire!”
- “I replaced my full-time income overnight by using this system!”
- “I quit my job last week because of what I learned that day!”
- “The cost of living is rising, but I’m working online and killing it!”
- “I didn’t always work from my laptop in a $15,000,000 beach house in Bora Bora. Not until I signed up!”
- “You can be rich by Friday if you follow this system!”
Plus all sorts of other variants of similar ideas. I think you get the point and I’m sure you’ve seen these ads all over the place.
Once they lure you in with their bullet points, you’ll usually see “Comment “info” below to find out more!” or something along those lines.
Those are 2 HUGE red flags. You shouldn’t need to see any more than the “I was grinding…” speech to know they’re trying to scam you – even if the author of the ad doesn’t realize it themselves.
2.) Self-branded domain name
The self-branded domain name is another huge red flag. Unless it’s an authority figure, like Neil Patel.
If upon clicking on the link, you’re taken to a 1-page sales funnel that requests your email and name, you now have proof that it’s 100% a scam. Chances are, they’re trying to sign you up for Global Affiliate Zone or a comparable scam program where the only people making money are the owners and 1% of the signups.
A fun fact about GAZ – If you sign up to promote them, you accept their ToS that says if you promote anyone other than GAZ, they’ll close down your account and withhold any revenue owed to you. They’re the only program with such a stipulation as far as I’m aware.
Another fun fact, GAZ gives all of their signups a self-branded domain name. I believe this is where the trend started, but I could be wrong.
3.) A lack of transparency
If people are asking for direct information in the comment section and there’s a complete lack of transparency about what’s being taught/sold… Well, it’s probably a scam.
If they link to their “free webinar” then you know it’s 100% a scam. The link will often take you to the same signup page they were already trying to funnel you into. Often, the only way to see the “webinar” is to give them your personal information – exactly what they were trying to do from the get-go. Now it’s: you 0 – them 1.
If an advertisement on Facebook or any other social media platform hits on all 3 of these points… AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE. Chances are, it’s a scam that’s been masqueraded as an opportunity.
Often times, the only people who ever make any money from these scam programs are the owners and maybe 1% of the signups. Meaning, the other 99% are either losing money or earning next to nothing; maybe just enough to pay for the monthly fees.
Instead, if you really want to start your own online business, do it the right way. Don’t try to cut corners, don’t fall for the shiniest object. No, you have to put in work, and A LOT of it. If you really want to be successful online, running ads on Facebook for some scam isn’t the way to do it.