So you’ve just bought your own domain name from namecheap.com but you forgot to redirect your DNS settings!
Don’t fret, it’s an easy fix, trust me.
When you first get to namecheap.com you’ll be welcomed with their newly changed home page! Change can sometimes be scary as tutorials and walkthroughs can become dated and inevitably obsolete. Thats fine though because this tutorial is fresh as of Feb, 01, 2014!
Namecheap.com has undergone some enhancements over the past month to improve its look and feel. This new layout gives us access to our account management settings from the top left hand side, it will look something like figure 1. From there, just click on “Manage Domains” like is highlighted in Fig1.
After selecting “Manage Domains” you will be brought to a page like is depicted in Figure 2, above. From the Manage Domains page, you’re going to want to select the domain which you have just purchased, just by clicking on the URL of the domain, like is shown above.
After selecting the domain whose DNS settings you need to update, you will be taken to the page which is shown in Figure 3. On the left hand side of that screen you will notice your sidebar has changed, now showing domain specific functions. You’re going to want to select “Domain Name Server Setup”. It is highlighted in fig3 if you are having issues finding this specific function.
Now you’re at the page you want to be on. This is where you will have to edit your DNS settings to route, or point towards your “hosting server”. If your hosting server is through Wealthy Affiliate, you’re going to have to enter in exactly what is entered under the 1st and 2nd line of the highlighted portion of figure 4.
Moving a Namecheap website to Wealthy Affiliate
To properly set up your new domain name, as i stated above, you’re going to have to move to your newly purchased domain. This can be accomplished in a few easy steps.
- From anywhere in Wealthy Affiliate, click the pale blue “Build My Website” button
- From website management page, you’re going to see your current websites, along with the options “Details” “Move” and “Delete” to the right of the URL’s.
- You’re going to want to click “Move” for the appropriate website.
After clicking “Move” you will be shown a pop-up like the one below in Figure 6.
- Click the highlighted “To a New Domain” button, unless you’re creating a sub-domain.. I’ll talk about your own sub-domains later.
- Enter your newly purchased domain’s URL. (If you have entered it incorrectly, or if it if not properly pointed at WA’s hosting servers you will get the same error which appears below “Enter a Domain Name” in the figure below.)
- Click “I’m Ready. Move __________”
Now you have to wait anywhere from 5 minutes – 48 hours for your website to propagate. Although it can take up to 48 hours for a website to propagate, I’ve never had to wait more than 2hrs.